With our low calorie diet we have been experimenting with a lot of dishes. We wanted to share this particular one because is easy, and extremely yummy.
Mexican Zucchini Boats Serves 2
2 medium zucchini
1 (small) can of black beans
1 cup of rice (your choice of rice, we used white)
1 cup of shredded cheese
1 cup of salsa (you can buy the one made already or make it at home like we did)
1 red bell pepper, diced
½ a red onion, diced
½ a small can of corn
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 tablespoons cumin
1 teaspoon chili powder
½ cup fresh cilantro
1. Prepare rice while heating the can of beans in a sauce pan (we added some seasoning to the beans, you can use whatever you prefer or nothing at all)
2. Slice each zucchini in half lengthwise. Remove the inside. (TIP – Get a spoon and carve it out.)
3. On a skillet add the onion and pepper – cook until brown. Then add cooked rice, corn, beans, salsa, chili powder and cumin. Stir everything and cook for about 5.
4. Pre heat oven to 400 degrees, and fill each zucchini with the rice, beans, and all that good stuff. Sprinkle the top with cheese.
5. Place zucchini boats on a baking dish and cover with foil.
6. Bake for 25 minutes & allow to cool after for 5.
From prep to fork in hand about an hour.
We loved it and we definitely plan to make it again! It’s filling, healthy AND yummy what more do you want?? (: